Friday, April 4, 2008

"They love singing and dancing!" (Jazz Hands)

Ava Charlotte was born in the Rotunda the afternoon of April 4th 2008. She weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces.

I have to be honest and admit that I had a strong instinct that she was going to be Down Syndrome and when she finally arrived into the world (for me) it was more a confirmation than a total shock. I think there was something I spotted in the last scan before she was born rather than a Derek Acora style premonition.

I have reflected upon this difficult day often and remember every aspect of the the delivery room in detail. We were obviously very upset but am proud of how myself and Duffo handled it.

There was a most bizarre moment worthy of mention however. As I sat talking with Duffo (who was lying on a table following the C-Section being stitched up) a very nice foreign doctor in a headscarf appeared at the other side of the table. She uttered the immortal words as some form of consolation:-

"They (DS babies) love singing and dancing"

She did so with a large smile on her face and accompanied the statement with a full on 'jazz hands' action while rocking left and right in a 'dancey' movement.

This was barely minutes after we were told and we often look back on this and laugh (Seriously)

Note I am not making fun of this excellent doctor but it was a most bizarre moment. I have nothing but praise for the Rotunda and am a registered "Friend of the Rotunda".

No comments: